#17: NBA Second Round winding down – June 18 recap
In this episode we'll recap how the second round of the 2021 NBA Playoffs is going so far! At time of recording, the Hawks were up 3-2 midway through game 6, Nets-Bucks were headed to game 7, Suns completed the surprising sweep of the Nuggets, and Clips were up 3-2 on the Jazz.
Some highlights so far:
- Suns sweep was outstanding. Chris Paul's 4th quarter takeovers and mid-range pullups were the difference, forcing Jokic to extend defense and put them on edge.
- His availability is now in question due to entering COVID protocol, and we go over how he can get out while missing minimal time.
- Clippers came roaring back in LA, winning both and Paul George and Kawhi playing lights out. BUTTTT, Kawhi hurt his knee late in game 4, toughed it out for that game, but missed game 5 and 6. Maybe out for rest of playoffs.
- Paul George answered in game 5. On the road in Utah, he drops 37 and 16 boards. Big games from Reggie Jackson and Morris as well helped them and they have a chance to close out in LA.
- Nets lost Kyrie in Game 4. With backs against the wall losing the last 2, they needed a MASSIVE game from KD. Harden came out of nowhere to return to lineup, and played a bunch of minutes but really was limited and not himself. But boy, did KD deliver a masterful game 5. 49 points (1 away from playoff career high), 17 boards, and 10 assists while playing every second of the game. Hit big jumper after big jumper as Nets erased 17 point halftime lead at home.
- Bucks extend their seasons with big games from Middleton (38) and Giannis (37) and game 7 in Brooklyn is Saturday. No Kyrie for games 5-7.
- Hawks stole one from Philly in game 5. Down 26 late in third quarter, they went to hack a Ben and a backcourt of Lou Will and Trae Young to make a comeback. Philly can NOT be excused, at home with that much of a lead.
What happened Friday night:
- Poor free throw shooting and the Hawks go cold in the 4th quarter, Sixers eek out the road victory and force game 7 at home.
- 22 and 13 boards for Embiid, but he did have 8 Turnovers
- Trae Young had 34 and 12 assists, but went 13-30.
- Clips Jazz – Clippers erase a 25 point second half deficit to advance to WCF and win 4 straight games against Jazz (2 without Kawhi!).
- Terrance Mann showed up! Had 10 of the first 12 Clippers points, and then continued to show out. Finished with 39 on 15 of 21 shooting! Paul George finishes with 28, 9 boards, and 7 dimes and Reggie Jackson also came through with 27 and 10 dimes.
- 39, 9, and 9 for Donovan Mitchell on 12-27 shooting. All of Jordan Clarkson's 21 points came in the 2nd quarter, where at one point he scored 17 straight points.
We also take a look at some of the beginnings of the yearly turnover, with Rick Carlisle and Stan Van Gundy leaving their coaching gigs and Kemba Walker getting traded to OKC.
Let us know your thoughts at email@example.com or on Instagram @in_n_outpodcast and catch y'all next week!